Cantonese Opera Quintessence (25 Nov)
Romance and sacrifice, scholars and warriors, heroes versus villains... Be mesmerized by captivating stories in Cantonese Opera Quintessence.
Happening on 24 and 25 November 2017, the event comprises two evenings of songs and excerpts from famous plays performed by local veteran and younger practitioners, side by side well-known foreign professional artistes. The production highlights the quintessence of Cantonese Opera, an art form that has been inscribed in UNESCO’s list of intangible cultural heritage of humanity.
The programme for each evening is different. Follow us on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/coss92sg).
• Bosom Friends (高山流水会知音) – Yu Boya breaks his zither upon the death of his bosom friend and meets him in his dream.
• Wu Song Kills a Tiger (武松打虎) – Listen to a captivating story by the hero from the classic, Outlaws of the Marsh, of how he kills a ferocious tiger.
• Sacrificing a Son (万古流芳之捨子) – A physician sacrifices his own son to repay the kindness of his benefactor.
• Moonlight Rendezvous (张生待月) – A special rendition of an aria about a scholar waiting for his lady-love one evening.
• Injustice Undone (血溅乌纱之夜审) – A magistrate vows to uphold justice when the daughter of the wrongfully accused kills herself.
• Battle of Lu An Zhou (潞安州) – A touching duet that could move you to tears with the performers’ vocal power.
• Farewell, My Love (新霸王别姬) – From the classic story about the defeated Xiang Yu bidding farewell to his beloved concubine.
(The presenter/organizer reserves the right to change the programme without prior notice.)
Here is an image of the ticket categories and seating areas for reference:
[To purchase Category E at a discount for students, please enter discount code "STU".]
7:00 PM - 10:50 PM SGT
- Gateway Theatre
Category E $20.00 Category D $30.00 Category C $40.00
On sale until Nov 10, 2017, 12:00:00 PM
- Venue Address
- 3615 Jalan Bukit Merah, Singapore 159461 Singapore
Approx 10 mins walk from Redhill MRT Station. Buses stopping at the Theatre: 14, 147, 196, 197, 855, 961.